Saturday, November 29, 2008

Gas Station Murder: Miami Herald v. Sun Sentinel

MiamiHerald.com posted a breaking news story Saturday morning about two men who shot and killed a Hess gas station clerk, before fleeing with a cash register full of money. When I clicked on the article, "Police release photos of gas station murder suspects," I had expected to see surveillance shots of the suspects, but instead received a recap of Tuesday's shooting and a message encouraging those with more information to contact local authorities. I guess the headline was a bit misleading for me. However, I enjoyed reporter Adam Beasly's narrative lede, which helped put a new spin on the crime scene and engage readers, since an inverted pyramid structure wouldn't have been as effective following several days of fact-based, no-nonsense coverage.

SunSentinel.com also covered this story in "Police release surveillance stills in fatal Hess shooting.". I liked the Sun Sentinel's detailed headline, and sure enough-when I clicked on the story-I was able to see a surveillance shot of one of the murder suspects, which the article noted was released by police on Friday. The article recounts the crime scene with effortless precision and a confirmed desciption of the men is attributed to a Hollywood police spokesman. The SunSentinel.com story also ends with a message urging those with more information to contact local authorities, yet unlike the Herald, it includes a link to the Hollywood Police Department site, which I believe is very effective in encouraging people to reach out and help police.

Sorry Ms. L, but I think SunSentinel.com did a better job in drawing people into their story than MiamiHerald.com. Maybe the Herald could post pictures/stills in its article to match the headline for their story?

No comments: