Saturday, November 29, 2008

I've Learned More than James Caan


In 2003, Esquire magazine published an interview of 63-year-old actor James Caan called "What I've Learned." I read it over and over again, and pretty soon, it was burnt into my memory. What made this interview so unique and fun to read was that it wasn't your typical Hollywood interview-style article. No cheeky paragraphs about the actor's sharp Prada pants, latest film flop or flavor of the week. Instead, I read excerpts taken from Caan's career highlights, the most unforgettable snapshots of his personal life.

So, as an homage to Esquire, and in honor of one of my favorite actors, I've decided to create a "What I've learned" for Online Journalism 442. Although it won't include any stories about beer-induced bar brawls or an excessive use of expletives, it will hopefully capture my experience in a different way:

What I've Learned

No matter what anyone says or what what any book, article or mojo may tell you, newspapers are alive and kicking. They're just temporarily taking a backseat to the glitz and glam of online journalism and the rise of multimedia. You see, online news is the new Malibu Barbie in town-with her shiny blond hair and glossy lips. She's unique, exciting and drives a fast car. But one day, Malibu Barbie will realize the value of teamwork, recruiting the wiser, more experienced Vintage Barbie once again to take on the news world while harmoniously living together in Barbie's Dream House. Besides, she needs a roommate. Rent doesn't come cheap nowadays.

Journalists can blog and bloggers can be journalists. Everyone has a VOICE, but it's our job as readers to sort out fact from fiction. May the force be with you! In the meantime, buy earplugs...

The continuous news desk is located somewhere between heaven and hell. It's heavenly to read updated local stories online, receive breaking news text alerts on your blackberry, and track audience readership throughout the day to determine ways to get more page views. It's hell when you're actually part of the team trying to pull all this together. Sorry Shelley...

It's hard to come up with engaging, unique news stories to fill up one's homepage. That's partly why shovelware was invented. Hiring more writers good! Print Plus stories awesome! Relying on shovelware forever...not fun.

When it comes to writing breaking news, the Inverted Pyramid story structure works best for print and online. Period. If you want to invoke the literary, narrative spirit of Nathaniel Hawthorne and take up countless paragraphs to describe a ten car collision on I-95, please seek employment elsewhere.

Everyone should learn to code. That, and klingon. It looks good on your resume and makes for interesting cocktail banter. Then again, if I have to hear the word Tag one more time...

I have seen the future of human interaction and social growth. It's called Facebook. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Yes, I was terrified of this class from the beginning. How do I think I did? Let me get back to you on that one...

1 comment:

Suzanne Levinson said...

You did fine... of course. I appreciate your engagement and willingness to work with everyone. Good luck in whatever is next...